BOTANICAL NAME: Ravensara aromatica
AROMA: Ravensara has a medicinal aroma with bright, fruity notes
PLANT PART: Leaves
EXTRACTION METHOD: Steam Distilled
BLENDS WELL WITH: Clove, Eucalyptus, Lavender and Rosemary
Native to Madagascar, Ravensara trees have reddish-gray trunks and grow to about 65 feet. The leaves and twigs of the trees are put through a steam distillation method to extract the oil. Ravensara is a tremendous addition to any blends meant to heal the respiratory system. Ravensara holds a place in the traditional medicine system of Madagascar and has been in use for centuries as a tonic and for fighting infections. Modern studies on this oil have revealed many other associated medicinal benefits. Let us see what they have discovered so far.
If you feel as though Eucalyptus oil is too strong Ravensara is a great alternative.
The following properties are found in a high quality cedarwood essential oil only I personally do not recommend using any oils from a health food store when using for medicinal purposes;
- Anti-septic – It reduces the risk of septic in wounds by preventing bacterial and other infections.
- Anti-bacterial – It kills several species of bacteria
- Anti – fungal – Effective against the reproduction or growth of Candida albicans and other fungi or yeast
- Anti-Destroys microorganisms or suppresses their multiplication or growth-
- Anti-microbial – Destroys microorganisms or suppresses their multiplication or growth
- Anti-oxidant – Capable of preventing oxidation
- Anti-perspirant – It calms down excessive sweating
- Anti-tumor- It is an agent against tumor
- Aphrodisiac – An agent that is good for curing frigidity or sexual dysfunction. It enhances the libido and also helps cure erectile dysfunctions.
- Anti-spasmodic – It prevents spasms
- Anti-depressant – Counteracts an absence of cheerfulness or diminishing functioning activity
- Anti-viral – It is effective against some virus species, like herpes simplex virus type 1
- Anti-inflammatory – It reduces inflammation when applied topically
- Analgesic – Effective remedy for many types of pain, including toothache, headache, muscular and joint pain, and earaches
- Anti-allergic – Gradually, it builds a resistance against allergenic substances so the body does not show hyper reactions against them
- Expectorant – An agent that can dilute or loosen the phlegm or catarrh deposits in the respiratory system and ease their passage out of the body
- Diuretic – It makes the kidneys excrete more urine and thus detoxifies the blood in this process
- Neurotonic – Strengthening or stimulating impaired nervous action.
- Carminative – Prevents and relives gas in the stomach
Ravensara essential oil is a powerful antibacterial agent. It kills the H.pylori bacteria which is found in our stomach and leads to a host of digestive problems. Ravensara essential oil has also been found to inhibit the growth of MRSA infection ( methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus ) . This group of bacterial infections are the cause of a number of dangerous infections.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
People who suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome often find it difficult to stay active or concentrate for longer intervals of time. Their body tires quickly. There may also be an involvement of the mind in chronic fatigue syndrome. This condition can be relieved by inhaling Ravensara essential oil right from its bottle. Inhale deeply for about 20 seconds.
Cold & Flu
Ravensara is one of if not the best oil in my opinion to use for colds and flus. Diffuse throughout a room. Apply topically to the chest and the bottom of the feet. Use it in steam inhalations to relieve any respiratory tract infections: colds, sinusitis, coughs and bronchitis. Ravensara is an expectorant and a good choice for both inhalations and chest rubs. Try blending it with other expectorant or decongestant oils such as Eucalyptus, Thyme or Pine.
Depression is a very personal thing I have dealt with for years and there is not “one thing” that can cure it. But I have found inhaling certain oil like Ravensara to have a great effect on me personally.
Herpes and Shingles
Ravensara essential oil is quite effective in getting rid of herpes and shingles lesions. It is a proven antiviral against herpes simplex virus and kills the virus. Mix a few drops of Ravensara oil with tea tree oil. Add ample amount of a base oil, like coconut oil or olive oil. Apply this oil on cold sores, genital herpes and shingles lesions. Regular application 2 times a day provides great relief from the pain. The sores start to heal and they are much less painful. Coconut oil is an ideal base because it also has activity against herpes and varicella zoster virus. One can also include lemongrass essential oil in this home remedy for herpes and shingles.
Soothe Sore Muscles
Taking a warm water bath with 10 – 15 drops of Ravensara essential oil for about 15 minutes provides relief from sore, painful and aching muscles. It relieves pain due to muscle cramps and exhaustion. Warm water bath with this essential oil also alleviates nervous tension and promotes sleep.
Ravensara essential oil is very helpful in conditions that lead to excess mucus or phlegm in the respiratory tract. It loosens the phlegm and helps to get it out of the body. This way, it is beneficial in cold, flu, productive cough, bronchitis, pneumonia and tuberculosis. It also relieves catarrh, a condition in which there is thick mucus and inflammation of the mucus membrane in the nose and throat. To get rid of phlegm, inhale the vapors of Ravensara essential oil by putting a few drops of it in boiling water.