We stopped using air fresheners about 1 year ago. By air fresheners I mean those cute candles you can get at Bath & Body Works, the glade plugins, and the spray air fresheners that you can get to use at home and in the car. They are crazy expensive and really only mask odors, not to mention all of the chemicals within them and the artificial scents. A great way of saving money and knowing you aren’t using any harmful ingredients is to make your own custom made air fresher spray that can be made with only 3 ingredients. Chances are you already have the ingredients at home and if not they are really easy to find. This spray can be used everywhere in the home such as on linens, shoes, garbage cans, diaper pails or pretty much anywhere you want to eliminate odors, and the great thing about it is it’s totally customizable. I have a recipe I posted awhile back for a Lavender Pillow Mist so if you are not a fan of lavender you can use any other scents you like. A high quality essential oil will also kill airborne bacteria too.
- 1/4 cup witch hazel (helps to keep the water in this air freshener purified so it’ll last about a month)
- 1 cup distilled water
- 10 drops essential oils (For this recipe I used Lemon & Blood Orange essential oil)
- Dark Glass bottle
- Fill spray bottle with water and witch hazel.
- Add essential oils and cover with spray nozzle.
- Shake once or twice, then start using.