I will be the first one to say I have been a fan of the Vick’s Vapor Rub forever, but recently my son got sick and I’ve heard some horror stories about Vick’s giving younger children respiratory problems so I’ve thrown out all of my Vick’s and after doing a lot of research I figured why not make my own all natural vapor rub.
Why Make Your Own?
Commercial vapor rubs are usually petroleum based that also has camphor in it which is fine if it wasn’t synthetically derived from turpentine oil. What’s great about making your own rub is the simple fact that you know exactly what’s being put into it. It’s also petroleum free.. I usually make one for me and my husband and a separate gentler recipe for my son.
Vapor Rub For Adults
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Beeswax Pellets (I buy mine here)
- 5 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil (I buy mine here)
- 2 Tbsp Shea, Cocoa or Mango Butter (I buy mine here)
- 1 Tsp Vitamin E Oil (I buy mine here)
- 30 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil (I buy mine here)
- 15 drops Rosemary Essential Oil (I buy mine here)
- 15 drops Peppermint Essential Oil (I buy mine here)
- 15 drops Lavender Essential Oil (I buy mine here)
- 5 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil (I buy mine here)
- Empty mason jar or metal tins (I buy mine here)
1. In a double broiler on medium/low heat melt the coconut oil, beeswax and shea butter.
2. Remove from heat and let it cool down for 5 minutes. (If you add essential oils while the oils are too hot they will lose their healing properties).
3. Add your desired essential oils and pour into a glass jar or a metal in container.
4. Place in the fridge to let it set. Use as needed. I like to apply the rub on my chest, back and the soles of my feet. Store in a cool dark place.
Vapor Rub For Children Over 6 Years Old
- 1 Tbsp Beeswax Pellets
- 3 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp Shea, Cocoa or Mango Butter
- 1 Tsp Vitamin E Oil
- 10 drops Eucalyptus Radiata Essential Oil
- 10 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 15 drops Lavender Essential Oil
It’s always best to do your own research regarding essential oils because they are very powerful and concentrated, especially when it comes to children. Eucalyptus Gobulus is not recommended for children under 10. Eucalyptus Radiata is a safer option. If you are pregnant or nursing please check with a holistic health care provider before using essential oils.