Migraines and headaches can be quite debilitating. I have been suffering from migraines at least 3-4 times a month for over 15 years and they totally suck. I usually have to stop what I am doing and lie down in a dark room for hours. I use to take prescription medication for the migraines and even though they do work sometimes it wasn’t providing the relief I needed, not to mention they cost me over $100. On my journey with essential oils I decided I needed to find a combination of oils that work for migraines specifically and that would actually help.
There are so many essential oils that help ease migraines and headaches but not everyone one will work for everyone. Lavender and peppermint essential oil are very popular but those two oils used on their own do not provide me with much relief. It’s really about experiencing different blends to see what works for you. Also applying them every couple hours makes a huge difference too. I personally think quality is the most important aspect which I have talked about in several posts. Please don’t assume that an essential oil from a drugstore or a GNC store will offer the same benefits as a more high quality oil.
I personally use a synergy blend called Head Ease. If you don’t have that blend don’t worry you can use a combination of lavender and peppermint essential oils, but if you really want a blend that’s going to eliminate a migraine the Head Ease Synergy blend is a great option. It contains a combination of Basil, Chamomile, Peppermint, Lavender,Frankincense, Rosemary, Sweet Marjoram and Wintergreen essential oils. It’s a very powerful blend that eliminates my migraines usually upon the second application so it would definitely get rid of a headache. (Results vary on quality of essential oils)
There are a number of different ways to make a salve like this. Some people prefer a softer salve and some people like a harder solid one which is achieved by adding more beeswax. I personally prefer a softer salve because I find it much easier to apply. I do still add a bit of beeswax so I don’t have to worry about the coconut oil in the salve melting. (*Coconut oil liquefies at 76 degrees so if the room temp is higher than 76 degrees store in the fridge.)
- 15 drops Head Ease Synergy Blend, or a combination of Basil, Chamomile, Peppermint, Lavender,Frankincense, Rosemary, Sweet Marjoram and Wintergreen essential oils
- 1/4 Cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp beeswax (I buy mine here)
- Fill bowl or pan with hot tap water.
- Place 1/4 cup coconut oil in smaller bowl and place in the larger bowl of hot water to melt the coconut oil.
- Once melted mix in essential oils.
- Pour into metal or glass container.
- Let return to room temp or place in fridge for one hour to solidify.
How To Use
- Apply to back of neck, wrists, temples and forehead for relief of occasional headaches.