Botanical Name: Cupressus sempervirens
Extraction Method: Steam Distillation
Plant Part: Leaves
Aroma: Piney, earthy, and terpenic
Blends Well With: Frankincense, and other resins
There is no active warning for using cypress essential oil, except that it should be avoided during pregnancy.
A tall evergreen tree with slender branches and a statuesque conical shape. It bears small flowers and round, brownish-grey cones or nuts.Cypress oil is great to add to skincare blends for oily skin; perfect to add to a clay mask. It can be great for stopping perspiring feet too! When spasmodic coughing is the concern, sniffing a few drops of the oil on a napkin can calm the lungs and stop an asthma attack in the beginning stages. Useful for relief of swelling and pain of varicose veins, especially with a little Lemon oil added to the blend. It is both calming and soothing to the senses. Cypress can be used in a diffuser to bring a beautiful, woodsy aroma to the room. Often used in blends for menstrual symptoms and to reduce cramps and to help with restless leg syndrome.I use Cypress oil in combination with Thyme oil in a blend for my lupus quite often. Cypress is a fantastic oil if you have Pleurisy, which causes a build up of fluid in the chest, making breathing difficult and causing coughing (blueness of the skin from oxygen deprivation; occurring in only the most extreme cases of pleural fluid accumulation due to lupus pleuritis), shortness of breath and rapid breathing.
- Astringent – It is one of the most powerful natural astrigents. It shrinks the skin and makes the skin taut.
- Anti-inflammatory – It reduces inflammation when applied topically.
- Antiseptic – It reduces the risk of septic in wounds by preventing bacterial and other infections.
- Vasoconstricting – It shrinks swollen blood vessels. As a result, it helps in hemorrhoids and edema.
- Antioxidant – It is a mild antioxidant when compared with other essential oil.
- Decongestant – It reduces congestion in the lymphatic system. This has immense health benefits.
- Antispasmodic – It prevents spasms.
- Anti-edema – It drives fluid retention away.
- Styptic – It stops bleeding in open wounds, cuts, scrapes. Also known as haemostatic.
- Diuretic – It makes the kidneys excrete more urine and thus detoxifies the blood in this process.
- Sedative – It has a mild tranquillizing effect.
- Sudorific – It promotes sweating and thus detoxifies the body even more.
- Circulant – It improves blood circulation and tones blood capillaries.
- Analgesic – It has a pain relieving effect, although mild.
- Mucolytic – It makes the phlegm less dense. When used in combination with an expectorant, it helps us remove all the phlegm (mucus )
- Anti-Lice – It strongly kills lice that infests humans.
- Antiviral – It is effective against some virus species, like herpes simplex virus type 1
- Antibacterial – It kills several species of bacteria.
- Hepatic – It helps the liver, the most important organ in our bodies.
- Emmenagogue – It alleviates heavy periods.
Apply 1 drop of Cypress oil and 1 drop of Grapefruit essential oil to coconut oil and massage into the area of concern.
Massage the chest and throat with 5 drops of cypress oil and 2 drops of cedar wood oil in a 30ml of coconut oil.
Apply 1-2 drops t the soles of the feet, diffuse aromatically in a room.
Mix 1-2 drops of oil with coconut oil and apply to body to maintain good circulation.
Apply 1 drop of diluted oil to the reflex points of the feet.
Since cypress oil has a mild tranquilizing effect, it’s great to use if you suffer from insomnia. Apply 1 drop of diluted oil to the soles of the feet or diffuse at night time. Also consider, Sweet Marjoram, Lavender, Vetiver or Cedarwood essential oil.
Use aromatically by diffusing in the room or inhaling directly from the palms of your hands.
Improve lung function by massaging 1 drop of cypress oil to the chest, and lungs.
Apple 1 drop on the inside of the forearm (there are two big veins there)
Add 1-2 drops to a facial toner.
Apply 2 drops of Cypress and 2 drops of Thyme essential oil and apply the diluted oil on the chest, upper shoulder and lungs.
Cypress essential oil can stop all forms of spams. Apply diluted oil to the area of concern.
Apply to tight, sore muscles or use with a carrier oil for massage.