I know it can be very overwhelming to walk into a MAC store and see so many products and be totally confused. I have been there. When I first started getting into makeup I started using mainly Mac products and I have bought my fair share of items. A lot of products I have repurchased several times and there are also a lot of products that are in my opinion not the greatest quality or are just very dupable at the drugstore. Today I will give you my opinion on products I think a beginner should purchase. Please remember this is just my opinion. There are many items that is available at Mac that are great but I feel I personally wouldn’t purchase if I was just starting out.
1. Mac Studio Fix Fluid Foundation ($32.00 CAD) This was one of my first purchases from Mac I ever placed. I like this foundation because it’s oil free and applies on very smoothly and doesn’t make my face look cakey. It’s also very long lasting with a good variety of shades for every skin tone.
2. Mineralized Skin Finish Natural ($35.00 CAD) has been my favorite face powder for many years. Having dry skin I don’t tend to use face powders but this powder is an exception. It doesn’t feel like powder at all. It’s very light weight. I like setting my liquid foundation with this powder and it works well by itself as well if you want a light to medium coverage. This is my go to face powder in the Summer.
3. Mac Lipstick ($15.00 CAD) If I could buy only one type of makeup product from Mac it would be their lipsticks. I still believe they have the best colors, textures and the staying power is excellent. I love almost every single lipstick I have purchased from Mac but if I had to choose a nude shade it would have to be Half n Half lipstick. For reds it would be Mac R.E.D and for pinks it would be Show Orchid lipstick.
4. Painterly Paint Pot ($24.00 CAD) is a must have product for me. If I am wearing eyeshadow then I am wearing Painterly I don’t wear eyeshadow without out. Please keep in mind Painterly Paint Pot is not a primer so it won’t prevent creasing, even though it has never creased on me, It’s just used as a base to make eyeshadows more vibrant. If you Mac Paint Pots but you notice it creases on you then try applying an eye primer like Urban Decay Primer Potion under before applying the Paint Pot.
5. Mac Powder Eyeshadow ($18.00 CAD) Over the years I have acquired my fair share of eyeshadows from Mac. Most of them I love and have repurchased and will keep repurchasing certain shades. I love the variety of shades that is available and finishes. Most of the shadows are highly pigmented and very easy to work with. If you would like to know my all time favorite Neutral Eyeshadows from Mac I have made a post listing the shades with small review here. To name a few shadows that I love and have repurchased is Blanc Type, Soft Brown, Patina, Brown Script, and Haux.
6. Cleanse Off Oil ($36.00 CAD) For some the Mac Cleanse Off Oil is not a must have product but I use it a few different ways so I really enjoy this product. The cleanse off oil is basically an oil based makeup remover. It removes waterproof makeup effortlessly. I have seen a lot of Mac makeup artists use it to deep clean their brushes as well so I like cleaning my brushes that have cream based products on them like concealer, lipstick and cream blushes.
7. 224 Tapered Blending Brush ($38.50 CAD) I believe you need good brushes to create flawless looks. I know Mac brushes are pricey but if you take good care of them they can last for many many years. I love the Mac 224 brush to use as a blending brush. It blends out crease colors beautifully.
8. Feline Kohl Power Eye Pencil (19.00 CAD) A lot of people have a love hate relationship with the Feline Eye Kohl. I have been a fan for years and I am so glad that Mac has decided to include this kohl pencil in their permanent line. I have tried many kohl pencils and I have yet to find one that’s more pigmented then Feline. It’s very dark and it’s also very creamy so it’s perfect to apply on the water line. A lot of people don’t like this product because it smudges easily. I have dry eyes so this pencil lasts all day on me without any transferring. It’s also good to keep in mind that Mac doesn’t claim that this eyeliner is water poof. It’s made to be smudgy so it’s perfect to use if your creating a smokey eye.
What are your favorite products from MAC?